Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Musings on Mini-Golf


Okay. So some of you have heard, others haven't, but I've been inspired recently to someday open and run my own mini-golf place. Not the traditional windmills and loop-de-loops of years past, but one of the more modern, "adventure" golf courses. One with the waterfalls, caves, landscaping, ponds, rivers, and challenging-but not too challenging-holes. My research says that I should stay away from "themes"; ie., pirates, jungles, mermaids, trolls, what have you; as they are more suitable for resort areas. If I stick to a more natural setting, have great visual appeal without going overboard or being cheesy, but still have a moderately challenging 18 holes, then people will keep coming back!

Also Greeley has no competition in this business! I would be a monopoly! Ha, ha, ha!

Seriously, though, after thoroughly researching this idea, it seems as though these quality mini-golf establishments do really well for themselves. They usually pay for themselves in the first year, even when their seasons are usually less than 6 months!

I have started a business plan and have even scouted some possible locations in the area. There are lots of options, but I don't know about prices yet. I know I could do all of this, except for the money part. That part being that I have none. And unfortunately it takes a lot to start up a new business. So now I'm stuck-how do I get started?

5 comments:

suz said...

Chris - Janelle told us about your mini-golf dreams and I think it's a fantastic idea! I would totally come to Greeley and play. However, I would propose an industrial size air-freshener on each hole or something, because cool new mini-golf course aside, it will still smell like Greeley. :)

suz said...

Janelle, are you really reading the Communist Manifesto? I didn't see that on the book club list.

C+J=S said...

Yes, it's a brilliant commentary on social justice, Marx has me transfixed and convinced! -- I thought the bookclub books were becoming a little beneath me since I'm a communist now.


I AM KIDDING!! Chris slipped it in on the blog without my knowledge, I am actually enjoying the toilet version of 1001 Things to Do With Duct Tape. Very intellectual!

suz said...

Duct tape. Nice.

Jessica Dearly Loved said...

Chris & Janelle,

The mini-golf course idea is great! However, you should do it over here in the Philippines--instead of a 6-month season, it would be a 12-month season for greater business! (of course, you could still take vacations since you'd be the owner!)

We think of you guys lots!

Nate